Friday, December 20, 2013

The Truth About Santa Claus

The years are quickly dwindling away.  Soon, my children will know the truth about Santa.  But there's a question in itself.  What is the truth about Santa?  Every year there are outcries from all walks of life about how the idea of Santa Claus is just a deception.  That those of us who "practice" the Santa magic are only setting our children up for mass disappointment and ultimate bitterness.  Well, that's scary.  I certainly don't want to embitter my children.  In fact, my intentions to begin with, when first inviting Santa into our lives, was simply to establish a tradition much like that my husband and I grew up with.  I had hoped to add joy and wonder to my kids' Christmas memories.  If what I've done will only lead to those memories crashing and burning, then I guess I've got some major re-planning ahead of me!

So, as you all can guess, I did some research.  The first thing I did was call my mother.  I don't remember being bitterly disappointed.  I know that there was the moment of discovery, but my memories of Christmas are all still intact.  My mother shared with me her painstaking plans of bringing the magic to all six of her children; how, as a parent, the magic of Christmas is wrapped up in the child...just as the magic for the child is wrapped up in however the parent presents it (presents...not presents...as it were).

Yes, this rang true for me.  My mother made Christmas at our house look like something Currier and Ives would paint and Cindy Lou Who would envy.  It is this pattern that I've striven to carry through to my children's experiences.  So, what is it about Santa?  Would my Christmases have been just as joyous and magical without him?  I don't know.  Somehow I don't think so.

So, I asked parents who do NOT "do" Santa.  One parent said he simply doesn't like the idea of some fictional guy getting the credit and thanks for gifts he bought.  Another parent was intensely worried about the fact that Santa is a lie.  Still another parent said she was so heartbroken and devastated to learn that Santa isn't real that she just couldn't do that to her children.

These are all valid points.  I needed to take them into consideration.  I spent a lot of time in prayer over this.  At first, I felt really strange praying to God about whether or not I should lie to my kids.  I mean, that's pretty-much a no-brainer.  So, no lying.  Okay.  Got it.  So I tell my kids there's no Santa and we go from there.  I was so sad.  I spent the next week or so completely depressed.  It was as if a light inside me had burned out.  I was disappointed in myself for having put so much of my energy into the Santa lie. 

But wait.  What if it's not a lie?  What if Santa is real?  I mean....what if?  I'm not talking about a 1500 year old elf who talks to reindeer and wears a red suit.  I went back to my earlier question...would Christmas have been as magical for me growing up without Santa?  No.  No it would not.  So looking back, knowing my parents were "playing" Santa, I began to realize something.  My parents WERE Santa.  Santa is not a person!  Santa is the magic of Christmas!  Whoever bestows that magic upon you for your Christmas morning is Santa! 

When teaching our children to do chores, we sometimes help them without letting know we're really doing it for them.  We let them receive the credit.  We praise them for a job well done even though we know good and well that we're the ones who straightened the sheets and adjusted the pillows.  It's because we're training them.  We have to ease them into it.  We begin teaching them to do things on their own by first building within them the desire to work and the joy of completion. 

That's Santa.  My children are growing up in a world that will tell them over and over that God doesn't exist.  That there is no such Being who hears our requests, grants miracles, and is never seen.  Who does THAT sound like?  Before you start stoning me, I'm not going so far as to say that Santa is God and that I'm trying to be God by playing Santa.  No, no, no.  Hear me.  I'm saying that I must find a way to build a foundation of faith inside my children so strong as to withstand the nay-sayers as they grow in their relationship with God.

Teaching them that there are wondrous things that are not seen...that must simply be believed in...this is important.  As their faith in God grows, they realize that they must be active in that faith.  They must do His good works.  Just like how one day, they will "play" Santa for their children.  They will pass on this faith-training in order to show their children that wonder and joy and magic do exist within us.

I've come to the conclusion that Santa is not only a good part of Christmas, but a requirement!  And guess what.  Even if you don't "do" Santa, if you've brought anyone any happiness at all during this holiday season, you actually are Santa.  Do not be afraid to spread joy, love, peace, and kindness this Christmas season.  In doing so, you are not only spreading Christmas magic, you are teaching the fruits of the Spirit.  Santa can be what you make him.  I hope all of you meet Santa this year and welcome him into your homes.

Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

The Fabulous Five

The Fabulous Five
We strive to make memories that will always lead us into the Light