Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer Books for 2013

Sorry I'm late getting this out.  Here are my recommendations for books to read this summer...

I'll lay down the rules again for those of you just joining the gang.  I give a book 3 strikes before deciding it's worth a read.  These can include any of the following: excessive cursing (if it's a children's or family book, ANY cursing is an automatic strike), explicit sex scenes (again, kids' books should have NO sex), blatant blaspheming of God (as an acceptable option...I realize there are villains in books and I allow for that), the bad guy wins (this is never okay.  realism I get...and it's real that the good guy wins, so I will not recommend anyone investing time in anything that ends on a negative note), etc...  There are other "strike-able" offenses, but I think you get my drift.

The categories in my review are as follows:

Three Strikes: do not read this book
Two Strikes: still worth a read
One Strike: still worth a read
Read Out loud to Your Family
Read After Dark: Creepy and Goose-bumpy
Read With Your Spouse: Not for children/definitely for adults
Sweetest Series
Most Romantic Character
Scariest Villain
Funniest Character
Most Heroic Character
Best True-to-Life Character
Character I relate most to
Home run in each genre
Grand Slam: Overall best book

Three Strikes goes to Janet Evanovich.  I know, I know, she's a best seller.  I get it.  I couldn't get through the first Stephanie Plum book ("One for the Money") because of my own personal experiences.  Maybe someday I'll be able to get through the first chapter.  Maybe.

Two Strikes:  The Ghost Hunter series by Victoria Laurie (the first is "What's a Ghoul to Do?").  There's cursing (no "f" word though).  There's also blatant support for homosexuality which I get enough of in real life and don't necessarily want to read about it.  Otherwise, these books are good.  Starring M.J. Holliday, a psychic-medium who has made it her mission to help grounded spirits (ghosts) cross over, be it to the "good place" or the "bad place".  I'm currently on book 4 and, if I've liked them well enough to read three of them, they get at least one thumbs up.

One Strike:  "The Spindlers" by Lauren Oliver.  The creep-level in this book is off the charts.  I'm talking iiiiicky!  The reason this is a strike is because it's a children's book.  I couldn't get through it.  I hate spiders.  There's nothing in it that devalues life or anything.  It's just too weird and creepy for kids.

Read Out Loud to the Family:  "The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom" by Christopher Healy.  This book is uproarious!  It has a rare blend of humor that satisfies all ages and all interests.  The book gives an intimate look at the "Princes Charming" from favorite fairy tales.  You get up close and personal with Cinderella, Snow White, Briar Rose, and more but they are, for once, NOT the stars of the show!

Read After Dark: Carol O'Connell's Mallory series (first one is "Mallory's Oracle").  It doesn't get grittier than these mysteries.  The cast of characters are all believable and the plot is deliciously dark.

Read With Your Spouse:  The Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers.  This an "inspirational" book (meaning it was written by a Christian with the intent to inspire Christ-like living).  These three books will blow you away.  Wish I had three thumbs for this one!!

Sweetest Series:  "The Darling Dahlias" by  Susan Wittig Albert.  Set in the 1930's, these ladies bring the small town of Darling, Alabama to life.  They get into all manner of scrapes but are stronger than they think.  The first is "The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree" and your library will have it.  You'll smile all the way through it and have a hankering for the simple-life when you're done.

Most Romantic Character:  This is a toughy.  Romance could be dramatic, funny, safe, etc... I'm going to say that Marcus from "A Voice in the Wind" (the first in the Mark of the Lion series) is most romantic overall.  He definitely has to overcome many struggles to find out what love is.  Read it!!

Scariest Villain:  Hmm...I haven't read too many spine-tingling villain books lately.  None of the books I've gone through recently have any bad guys that leave me haunted after I'm done.  I'm going to reserve the right to come back to this one later.

Funniest Character.  Good grief.  It's, hands down, Duncan from "Hero's Guide".  This guy is so funny!  Christopher Healy did an amazing job with this character and I can't wait for the second book to come out!

Most Heroic Character:  Hadassah from the Mark of the Lion series.  I know I don't usually choose a girl for Most Heroic but...read it and you're sure to agree.  She is off the charts from any hero I've read before.

Most True-to-Life Character:  Lucy Stone from the Lucy Stone Mysteries by Leslie Meier (the first is "Mistletoe Murder").  She is so frank and candid.  I'm just getting into these but so far (with only one strike for cursing) she's pretty real.

Most Related to: Lucy Stone again.  She's happily married with three kids and so overwhelmed with stuff all the time.  Sound like anyone you know?

Home run for Mysteries:  The Daisy Dalrymple series by Carola Dunn.  They're the ultimate English Cozy.  Recommended for bubble-bath and candle lights, followed by pajamas and popcorn.

"The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom" by Christopher Healy.  This is absolutely, hands down, without any doubt, the winner of my Grand Slam Book Review!  This book literally has it ALL!  Family-worthy, yes!  Laugh out loud, yes!  Keeps your interest, yes!  NO STRIKES!  I challenge you to read this and find something negative to say (but don't say it to me).  This book has me salivating for the next in the series!!!!!!!  Gold Star, Christopher Healy!!!

Enjoy your summer reading!

No comments:

The Fabulous Five

The Fabulous Five
We strive to make memories that will always lead us into the Light