Monday, June 24, 2013

Storming the Castle

It's here!  The second book in the Hero's Guide series!  Woo-Hoo!  What else?  Well, along with the ones listed last time, I'm back into both the Hannah Swenson series (by Joann Fluke) and the Charlotte LaRue series (by Barbara Colley).  These are mysteries.  They are what I called "mild" mysteries.  Little cursing (don't think there's ANY in the LaRue series) and little sex and have yet to run into homosexuality, or blatant blasphemy.  And yet, they're still good!  Ha!

The plus of both of these mysteries is what I call the extras.  Extras include anything I can learn that I can apply to my own daily life.  Anything that makes me feel more positive than negative after reading it.  Also, both books always end "right".  Know what I mean?

Hannah Swenson (the main character in Joann Fluke's mysteries) is a baker.  She owns her own Cookie Shop and includes no less than (and often many more than) ten recipes per book.  I've tried some of them and they've all passed with thumbs up!  Reading these books inspire me to bake and get creative in the kitchen.  I like that.  It's a positive feeling while reading.  Nice. (First book in the series is "Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder".)

Charlotte LaRue (the main character in Barbara Colley's mysteries) is a maid.  In fact, she's a grandmother who owns her own housecleaning business.  Not only does reading this book inspire me to clean, it includes GREAT housecleaning tips!!  Putting lemon-scented oil on your ceiling fans so the house smells clean every time you run them...genius.  Even the order in which she cleans has added to my housecleaning experience.  (First book in the series is "Maid for Murder".)

With the Charlotte books, there's another extra.  She's a Christian.  No, this isn't "Christian Fiction".  You won't find it in the "Inspirational" section.  But it is...Christian fiction and inspiring.  She is so REAL...she's always chastising herself for her negative thoughts.    She also committed a sin in her past that she will never forget.  It's encouraging to read about a character who struggles with the same things I do.  And, even though she's a grandmother and a maid, there's some romance involved...nice, sweet, clean romance. 

Well, that does it for this week's book-talk.  What are you reading?

No comments:

The Fabulous Five

The Fabulous Five
We strive to make memories that will always lead us into the Light