Saturday, January 4, 2014

Resolving Resolution Relapse

Do you love making New Year's Resolutions?  Do you dread it?  Do you even do it?  I used to love it.  Then I dreaded it.  Then I considered not even doing it.  But then I realized something.  I'm the boss of it.  I'm the one deciding what the resolutions are so why can't I also decide when they take place?  Here's what I have discovered about myself.  When I begin making my list of resolutions, I get carried away.  I begin to even organizing resolution themes and sub-resolutions.  For example, "Get Organized"...well, that begs detail so I then list sub-resolutions under this resolution theme: "Bedroom, Shed, Drawers, Cabinets, etc..."  You see where this is going.  Overwhelming to say the least.  Overwhelming...stressful...impossible!  Before January 2nd, I'm already a failure.  Great way to start the year, yes?  Ugh!

So, I have tried the past few years to relax and stay general; "Lose Weight, Keep House Clean, More Family Time, Read Bible More, etc..."  But even this gets to be too much.  If I'm not a master at all of the above by the middle of February, I consider it all undo-able and give up.  (Y'all know I'm an extremist)  So how is it possible to have resolutions without setting myself up for disappointment?  How do I keep resolutions healthy and thriving throughout the year?

This year, I'm trying something new.  This is probably not a new idea to many of you.  I'm a bit slow on the uptake when it comes to self-improvement so I fully expect you to have a "duh!" reaction to my exciting revelation.  But here it is.  I first will make my list of resolutions.  I even allow myself to go crazy with it.  Don't stop at ten...or twenty...just write until I've mapped out the path to perfection.  Then, I prioritize.  If I could only achieve twenty-four of these things this year, what should those twenty-four be?  Then I prioritize again.  What, of the twenty-four, should be the first two?

I concentrate on only those two resolutions for the month of January.  February, I add two more.  March, two more.  See?  See how I'm taking baby-steps instead of demanding so much from myself right off the bat?  Is this how resolutions are being done around the world?  Am I the only one just now realizing the genius of this month-by-month concept?  Well, I don't mind.  I'm just excited to have stumbled onto the idea at all.  So, this month, January, the first of the twelve of 2014, I'm working on two resolutions: Spiritual and Health improvement.  I've only allowed two steps per resolution (Attend church every possible chance I get and read my Bible every day; Exercise at LEAST three times a week and make better food-choices).  That's it.  Reckon I can handle that?  We'll see.

At least I'm still feeling excited instead of stressed out already.  January is supposed to be a time of fresh renewal.  It is the "Monday" of the New Year.  It is that day we all begin anew.  I pray all of you press on with your self-improving and see yourselves as victors rather than failures.  We are in this New Year together.  Let's do this!

No comments:

The Fabulous Five

The Fabulous Five
We strive to make memories that will always lead us into the Light